What is SUBU Debates?
SUBU Debates is an intiative led by the President who works with student debate champions to organise debates on societal issues for all students (that's you) to attend. You don't need to sign up to SUBU Debates to come along, we're not a society.
What is a debate champion?
SUBU Debates is led by student debate champions who meet regularly to choose the topics and promote and run debates with support from SUBU. We aren't currently looking for debate champions but if you're interested, please keep an eye on this page for updates!
Do I need to do anything before coming to a debate?
You don't need to have formed opinions or debating skills to come along to a SUBU Debate, we just ask that you share our values of freely expressing opinions with tolerance and respect for one another. You can sign-up to be on the mailing list to hear about upcoming SUBU Debates below. You can also follow us on Instagram, twitter and Facebook.
Sign-Up below to be on the mailing list.
Some of Our Most Popular Debates
- Is "men are trash" a justified statement?
- Are Generations Becoming More Sensitive?
- Is It Too Late To Save The Planet? As part of SUBU One World Festival 2018 - see photos here
- Does Consent Need To Be Verbalised? As part of Sexual Violence Awareness Week 2018
- Is Benefiting From White Privilege Racist? As part of Black History Month 2017
- Is Feminism Sexist?
- When Is Fancy Dress Offensive?
Student Feedback from debates:
"Open & free atmosphere to debate and to express everybody's views"
"Great questions, opinions, debate and overall topic which I am extremely passionate and interested in"
"I liked the knowledge that I gained from the different opinions that were presented"