Some people are not entitled to the minimum wage because there is a specific exemption in the rules. Unfortunatley if your placement is less than one year you will not qualify for minimum wage. The majoirty of placements at BU are for between 10 days or 30 weeks (sandwich year). Check out our Money pages for sources of funding if you are struggling financially or think you may struggle whilst on placement. 

Looking for a placement

You will recieve support via your Placement Co-ordinator to help you write your CV, attend mock interviews, advice on how to search for a placement and general preparation guidance. If you are unsure who your Placement Coordinator is then you can either contact us, AskBU or your Faculty Support Desk. You should start searching for a placement a year before it is due to commence and the Careers and Employment Service can guide you with this search. You are also welcome to search independently and can be provided guidance as to how to go about this.


Something gone wrong?

In the first instance you should raise any issues with your employer and also with your Placement Co-Ordinator. You can contact us for confidential advice if you would like to discuss anything before progressing any further. With your consent, we can contact your Programme Co-Ordinator to discuss the issues and help you find a resolution.


Many placements are unpaid and you get a reduced amount of student finance. We advise you plan ahead and apply for all funding available to you and save as much as you can.

Sandwich Year

Securing a paid placement can be difficult. If you have a low paid or even an unpaid placement its worth considering how you will pay your rent and feed yourself sooner rather than later. SUBU Advice is here to help ensure you are informed as to what funding you can apply for and can offer money management advice. This information isn't intended for students completing an NHS course.


Tuition Fees

Students completing a sandwich year in 18-19 will be required to pay £790 tuition fee. You can use your usual method of funding to pay for this.


Living Costs

Students in receipt of funding from Student Finance England will also be eligible for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan. The maximum awards for 17-18 are:

  • Living with parents £1,915
  • In London and not with parents £3,585
  • Outside London and not with parents £2,553
  • Living and studying abroad for at least a term N/A

(18-19 rates not yet released)


Placement Opportunity Fund

BU offers a Placement Opportunity Fund for some students completing a short-term placement or long-term placement (30 weeks). 


There are also financial products, such as student overdrafts and credits cards, that you can make the most of. If you are unsure about how these products work or a worried about the ability to repay the money you borrow then contact us for advice. By budgeting your finances you may realise that you can afford to borrow, without getting in to financial difficulty.


If you can work part-time or in the holidays and save up some funds then this may help you during your placement. Doing paid work alongside your placement may also be of use to you, although we understand this may be easier said than done if your placement requires long working hours. If you have a birthday or Christmas coming up then you could ask for money to set aside for when you are on placement. You may also choose to seel any items that you no longer need or use, e.g. games console, clothes, old mobile phone etc...


Effective money management is an essential part of keeping on top of your finance and picking up on anu issues before they occur. Planning ahead can save you also of stress and you can then focus on completing your placement. Check our our Money Management page for information as to how SUBU Advice can help.


Study abroad

Erasmus+ can provide monthly rates of between 380- 430 Euro to help you complete a placement aboard. They is also an additional 20 Euro a month for students from specific backgrounds under represented at BU. Email:


NHS Placement: travel claims

Similar to the Practice Placement Expenses detailed in the NHS Bursary Scheme, the new Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses will be available to reimburse excess costs incurred when undertaking practical training on placements. Eligible students will need to complete a claim form which will need to be approved by your university and this will then come through to the NHSBSA who will process for payment.


Information regarding Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses, including how to apply, is available via the NHS Learning Support Fund.