About the Union
Students' Union at BU Ltd. (SUBU) is an independent charity representing around 19,000 students at the University of Bournemouth.
SUBU is a democratically run organisation, led by a team of four elected sabbatical officers, who together with a team of permanent staff, are dedicated to making the lives of Bournemouth University students better.
SUBU’s mission is to support, represent and empower our students.
The Students’ Union at Bournemouth University are a large employer of student staff and we are recruiting now and will have vacancies in all our commercial services including:
- Old Fire Station (nightclub venue) – bar staff, box office staff & technical stage crew.
- Dylan’s Kitchen & Bar – kitchen staff.
We will be recruiting through a central application process, where you can indicate your preference of work area. You must apply online and successful candidates will be invited to a recruitment day. You must be a current or prospective student at BU or AUB to apply.
General staff includes bar, box office, service, counter, shop floor.
Specialist staff are technical stage crew and kitchen staff.
Applications are open for both general and specialist staff. General staff can be more flexible and indicate if they are happy to work across multiple roles by being in the staff pool. Specialised staff are expected to stick to their specialised role due to the level of training they will be given.
The next recruitment day for general staff will follow.
The next recruitment day for specialist staff is TBC
This is how to apply to come and work for us:
- Read the job summaries below and decide which you may be interested in.
- Apply online below:
- Wait to see if your application is successful and you are invited to a recruitment day.
- Attend recruitment day.
- If you are selected at recruitment day you will normally be offered a post the day after.
Some of the recruitment is for jobs that will begin properly in September 2021, when you return for the next academic year. The Old Fire Station are also looking for students who are available to work throughout the summer months as we re-open the venue once guidelines allow.
SUBU has a commitment to being an inclusive and diverse organisation. We recognise our workforce isn’t as diverse as it could be and are currently under-represented in, among others, the following areas: People of Black and Asian minority ethnicity, disabled people, lesbian, gay, bisexual
Pay rates: Starts at £8.20ph + holiday pay
Shift patterns: We use a shift pattern that is designed to fit around most of your study needs. There is some flexibility to change shifts and working hours from time to time to suit your coursework needs. You will be expected to average around 15 hours per week work, based on shifts normally between 2 and 8 hours long.
1. The Old Fire Station nightclub and live music venue
From national club nights and student parties through to touring bands and stand-up comedy shows, The Old Fire Station is an exciting late-night venue with a varied and night based working pattern. You will be expected to work nights and weekends.
- Bar & box office staff – General staff serving customers behind the bar, clearing tables or in the Box Office. Successful recruits will enjoy working in a fast paced, high energy environment and have a passion for events and great customer service. It is a loud and late-night environment.
- Technical stage crew – Specialist staff setting up the technical side of events, running sound & lights and making the venue look great. Events would not happen without a Tech Crew working tirelessly behind the scenes, work is late-night and includes physical lifting.
2. Dylan's Bar
A lively restaurant/bar on Talbot Campus – we are recruiting kitchen staff to start next term.
- Kitchen staff – specialised staff working on fresh food production. Burgers, fresh pizza, and other hot food order. You will need excellent organisation skills, spotless hygiene and the ability to learn quickly from our chefs.
Please note, we will be fast tracking our supervisor recruitment process from the pool of staff we recruit in May. All successful applicants will be considered for this process.
Specialist Staff: TBC
Interview/Recruitment Days will be:
Specialist Staff: TBC