The Students Union at Bournemouth University are a large employer of student staff and we are recruiting now for our commercial services for next academic year including:
- Old Fire Station (nightclub and live music venue) – bar & box office staff or technical stage crew.
We will be recruiting through a central application process, where you can indicate your preference of work area. You must apply online and successful candidates will be invited to a recruitment day. You must be a current of perspective student at BU or AUB to apply.
Applications are open for both general and specialist staff. General staff can be more flexible and indicate if they are happy to work across multiple roles by being in the staff pool. Specialised staff are expected to stick to their specialised role due to the level of training they will be given.
This is how to apply to come and work for us:
- Read the job summaries below and decide which you may be interested in.
- Apply online here.
- Wait to see if your application is successful and you are invited to a recruitment day.
- Attend recruitment day.
- If you are selected at recruitment day you will normally be offered a post the day after.
Pay rates: Starting at £9.25 with pay progression, plus holiday pay.
Shift patterns: We use a shift pattern that is designed to fit around most of your study needs. There is some flexibility to change shifts and working hours from time to time to suit your coursework needs. You will be expected to average around 15 hours per week work, based on shifts normally between 2 and 8 hours long.
The Old Fire Station nightclub and live music venue
From national club nights and student parties through to touring bands and stand up comedy shows, The Old Fire Station is an exciting late night venue with a varied and night based working pattern. You will be expected to work nights and weekends.
- Bar & box office staff – General staff serving customers behind the bar or in the Box Office. Successful recruits will enjoy working in a fast paced, high energy and loud environments. Having a passion for events and great customer service is key.
- Technical stage crew – Specialist staff setting up the technical side of events, running sound & lights and making the venue look awesome. Events would not happen without a Tech Crew working tirelessly behind the scenes, work is late night and includes physical lifting.
Equality and Diversity
SUBU is committed to becoming a more inclusive and diverse organisation to better represent the student communities that we serve. This commitment to inclusivity is one of our organisational values. Being a diverse organisation includes ensuring that people from marginalised communities are involved with the decision making processes at all levels within SUBU. This is why we encourage applicants from the following communities to apply: People of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds, People with Disabilities, People of marginalised genders, LGBTQIA+ All submitted applications are redacted as part of our application process and appointments are based on skills and competencies.