Close

 

 

 

Last Updated: Monday 19th July


 

At SUBU, we value your feedback. It is at the heart of everything we do, to ensure that we create a positive impact on every single student and that we work for students. We receive feedback on a wide range of student issues, through emails, surveys, SimOn, contact with Full Time Officers, Student Reps, our Student Summits and other channels.

We use this page to keep you updated on what SUBU is doing about your feedback – it shows you the work that we are carrying out to enhance your student experience here at BU. This work is shown below by topic and in the order of the most recent student issues first. Each topic has at least one Full Time Officer assigned to lead it.

For the different ways to share feedback with us, please see the top of this page. If you have any further questions about the content of this page, please contact reps@bournemouth.ac.uk where a member of our Student Voice and Policy team will deal with your inquiry. We look forward to hearing from you and helping to improve your experience at SUBU.

 

Working on

You said: In SUBU meetings such as SMM or Summit, you have raised the issue of studying for a degree whilst carrying out childcare responsibilities.
We are working on: Ahead of the new academic year, we will be updating our available resouces to support student parents. VP Education is also collaborating with BU to set up a univesity-wide student parent network. VP Education has also raised the issue of supporting international student parents at a government level, by lobbying our local MP for support.

Being worked on by: All FTOs Proposed by: SimOn feedback

You said: At the Student Members Meeting, you voted on a policy to improve the availability of recycling facilities in accommodation and on campus.
We are working on: This policy has been raised with the sustainability team at BU. BU plan on working with the student proposer to develop an induction programme around recycling in halls. This policy is also being monitored by SUBU's internal sustainability group.

Being worked on by: VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: SMM policy

You said: At the Student Members Meeting, you voted on a policy to end sexual harassment, violent and misconduct on campus.
We are working on: We are currently working with our Communications team to develop a digital campaign. This policy has also been raised with key staff members at BU and triggered an internal review of their own policies and procedures around sexual misconduct. We will also be discussing our internal policies and procesures with SUBU's Commercial Manager to ensure our staff feel comfortable reporting incidents.

Being worked on by: VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: SMM policy

You said: At the Student Members Meeting, you voted on a policy to improve inclusivity and accessibility arrangements.
We are working on: SUBU are currently establishing the staff leads for the various components of the policy. We have also shared the policy with key BU staff members. Follow-up meetings are taking place with BU staff, SUBU staff and the student proposers.

Being worked on by: VP Education and VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: SMM policy

You said: At the Student Members Meeting, you voted on a policy to alter MUSE to allow students to submit end of unit feedback.
We are working on: There is a current BU pilot scheme across two faculties to explore end of unit feedback. SUBU will comment on the pilot once the findings become available.

Being worked on by: VP Education Proposed by: SMM policy

You said: At the Student Members Meeting, you voted on a policy to create a SUBU page on Brightspace.
We are working on: Our Commercial team have shared the policy with relevant BU staff and raising the work in regular catch-ups.

Being worked on by: VP Education Proposed by: SMM policy

You said: Ahead of September, you want to know what both BU and SUBU will offer to students.
We are working on: The FTOs have been discussing plans with BU to ensure a smooth induction process for new and retunring students. SUBU are currently planning our events programme ahead of the start of term. Please check our website and social media for more information.

Being worked on by: SU President Proposed by: SimOn feedback

You said: SUBU’s President identified the financial barriers facing many students for attending graduation ceremonies, for example the wider costs of accommodation, gowns and photography packages. As part of their manifesto, they wanted to reach out to local businesses to secure financial support for students struggling to meet these additional costs.
We are working on: As a result of the pandemic, in-person graduation ceremonies are no longer taking place, with virtual ceremonies not carrying the same wider financial costs. Once graduation ceremonies resume, work towards this issue will continue. Graduation ceremonies will now be taking place in person this November, subject to ongoing restrictions. SU President has re-started conversations around reducing costs for qualifying students.

Being worked on by: SU President Proposed by: Manifesto point

You said: At Summit, you voted on a policy to provide better support for healthcare students, including improved communication between the NHS and BU and better treatment for students on unpaid NHS contracts.
We are working on: We raised the issue at a national level through NUS. We are also continuing to represent feedback from healthcare students to senior BU staff. The SUBU Lansdowne team are now settled in their new office in BGB and look forward to continuing to support students at Lansdowne.

Being worked on by: SU VP Education Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: As a result of the pandemic, we understand that many students feel increasingly isolated and alone. At SUBU Summit, you voted on a policy to secure improved wellbeing support by offering more social opportunities online and working with external charities.
We are working on: As a result of the policy, we held several speed-friending events to support students who might be feeling isolated. We hope that this will become a regular event, and please keep an eye on our events page for future announcements. We are also reaching out to several charities, including Student Minds and Dorset Mind, to establish any opportunities for collaboration. SUBU are currently working with BU to develop a pilot programme to offer peer wellbeing support.

Being worked on by: SU VP Opportunities and SU VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: At SUBU Summit, you voted on a policy for SUBU to lobby BU to add more past papers to Brightspace.
We are working on: We are in the process of reaching out to relevant BU staff to raise the issue.

Being worked on by: SU VP Education Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: At SUBU Summit, you voted on a policy for SUBU to implement a FGM policy. This policy also involved raising awareness for staff and students on the issues surrounding FGM, and the available support.
We are working on: We are currently working with our Women’s Officer to develop a wider strategy. In addition, as part of Women’s History Month we invited FGM expert Laney Holland to deliver a talk on FGM awareness. We have developed a webpage on FGM containing relevant resources.

Being worked on by: SU VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: At SUBU Summit, you voted on a policy for SUBU to offer support for student sex workers. This included the creation of a webpage to offer impartial and transparent support to student sex workers, including protection from discrimination by staff.
We are working on: We are currently reaching out to other SUs with clear policies in place to protect student sex workers. We are also conducting research into the best organisations to sign post students towards. We will then look into developing a webpage with resources and guidance. We have developed a webpage on supporting student sex workers containing relevant resources. VP W&C met with relevant BU staff to discuss BU’s own webpage and to discuss how sex workers can be supported in existing university policies.

Being worked on by: SU VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: At BSM, you voted on a policy for SUBU to support accessible periods through supplying free sanitary products.
We are working on: This policy has now been expanded to include the availability of environmental period products. We have launched our Environmenstrual Collective and we are working on the availabiity of sustainable period products in our shop at cost price.

Being worked on by: SU VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: BSM and FTO Manifesto

You said: More support is needed for international students, many of whom have been left without financial support during Covid. SUBU aims to support international students by finding out more about their BU experiences, focusing on issues surrounding cultural differences, employability, financial hardship and creating an overall sense of belonging.
We are working on: SUBU have started to work collaboratively across all departments to discuss the key issues facing international students and possible solutions. We are also working with relevant staff members at BU to establish opportunities for further collaboration. Please see BU's webpage on wider support available for international students.

Being worked on by: SU VP Opportunities and Student Voice and Policy team Proposed by: SU VP Opportunities

Stalled

You said: You voted in favour of a SUBU Summit policy that proposed the creation of an official SUBU Discord hub. This will bring more students together as they will be able to interact more informally through the hub, and interactions will not be limited to online events.
Reason for stalling: VP Opportunities has attended several meetings within SUBU dedicated to the creation of the official Discord. We are currently working with the student proposer to find the best model for the Discord Hub, prior to launching.

Being worked on by: SU VP Opportunities Proposed by: SUBU Summit

You said: At BSM, you voted on a policy for SUBU to lobby BU to lower printing costs for students.
Reason for stalling: Due to the Pandemic, fewer students are using printers on campus. The shift to online learning means that students are less likely to print resources. We will re-start our work on this policy once in-person teaching has resumed.

Being worked on by VP Welfare and Community Proposed by: BSM

Complete

You said: Within the current national lockdown, we understand that many students are now unable to access halls that they are contractually obliged to pay for. Under the current government guidance, we understand that this could be until mid-February, but we also understand that this could continue for the rest of the semester.
We did: We have raised this issue at BU and continue to prioritise lobbying for rent reductions. This work has now been formalised into SUBU policy. Both the President and VP Welfare & Community have raised this issue with senior leaders at BU. Our FTOs have also written to all accommodation providers, including private letting agents and local MPs, to lobby these companies to offer rent rebates to students. We are monitoring the situation and tracking the providers who have offered rebates to students (currently Unite, Student Roost and BU owned housing). We also secured an accommodation support fund, enabling students without rebates to apply for financial help.

Completed by: SU VP Welfare and Community, SU President Proposed by: Student feedback and Summit policy

You said: Within the current national lockdown, we understand that the majority of students are continuing to experience online learning as their primary mode of delivery. Through student emails and SimOn, we understand that some students are still experiencing technical issues, with some inconsistencies across the different departments at BU. You have raised issues around Zoom software, the recording and uploading of lectures, session lengths, the availability of lecture materials and timetabling issues.
We did: We are continuing to monitor all feedback on SimOn relating to the quality of online teaching and learning. We are breaking down all specific comments relating to teaching and learning, presenting this data to key BU staff members and raising the issue at relevant meetings. We also used Speak Week to pose a question to all students that specifically related to your views on the transition to online learning. This was also shared with BU. We are continuing to represent feedback to BU on the quality of online learning. Please see their webpage on available support for online learning. This has now moved to our routine monitoring of SimOn data on quality of teaching and learning.

Completed by: SU VP Education, SU President Proposed by: Student Feedback

You said: At SUBU Summit, you raised the issue around the lack of a No Detriment Policy for this academic year. You wanted us to share your feedback around the current academic policies in place to support student assessments, ensuring that SUBU prioritised supporting students with their assessments during the ongoing pandemic.
We did: Since the start of the pandemic, we have been collecting your feedback on the impact of Covid on your learning experience. Last year, we collected student voice that led to the creation of the No Detriment Policy for 2019/20. BU have now introduced a different policy for this academic year, which does not include the 'safety net' aspect of the previous No Detriment Policy. We have continued to collect student voice on your ongoing academic support. Last semester, we held a discussion group at SUBU Summit around student demand for BU to reintroduce their No Detriment Policy, and in January 2021 we held a forum so that you could share your views on the current support available. We also held an Officer Question Time based on BU’s current Protecting Student Outcomes policy, which this feedback then shared with BU. As a result of our ongoing lobbying, we have secured a number of adjustments to BU's policy, including uncapped reassessments and an online application system for exceptional circumstances.

Completed by: SU VP Education, SU President Proposed by: SUBU Summit

You said: We received feedback asking for SUBU to offer more support with lobbying BU to improve reading list access.
We did: We provided student support to transform this idea into official SUBU Policy, which you voted on at SUBU Summit. The VP Education is continuing to raise this policy with relevant BU staff. The Deputy Vice-Chancellor is in support of this policy and has asked for library services team to prioritise work on reading list access. Improved reading list access is expected to be available from the start of the next academic year.

Completed by: SU VP Education Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: As a result of the pandemic, we understand that many of you are frustrated with the lack of compensation for lost face to face teaching time and accommodation that you have been unable to occupy. At Summit, you voted on two policies mandating that SUBU work on lobbying both BU and the government to secure improved financial support.
We did: We are continuing to raise the issues at a senior level with BU and with our local MP. Whilst we secured additional funding from the government, we maintain that this was not nearly enough and a higher amount needs to be offered to universities to support widespread rebates. We have also developed a webpage containing resources and information on how you can take action and support our lobbying process. Our NUS delegates also attended National Conference at the start of April, collaborating with other SUs on how to continue effectively lobbying for tuition refunds. SUBU supported the Students United Against Fees Digital Day of Action by lobbying the Government to offer refunds to students.

Completed by: SU President Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: At Summit, you voted on a policy to improve online timetables, including being able to add extra entries and better support from BU on how to access timetables.
We did: The VP Education has raised the issue at BU's Digitalised University IT Committee. BU have confirmed that software is available for students to edit their timetables, and this will be shared with students in due course.

Completed by: SU VP Education Proposed by: Summit policy

You said: At Summit and through SimOn, many of you have raised the issue of delays in receiving marked work. We also received comments relating to the quality of feedback, with some students sharing that they did not find that their feedback demonstrated how they could improve their work.
We did: We are now tracking this issue on SimOn, analysing all recent feedback relating to exams, assessments and feedback. We have shared some of this feedback with BU and will continue to monitor the issue. This has now moved to our routine monitoring of SimOn data on feedback.

Completed by: SU VP Education Proposed by: SimOn feedback

You said: SUBU’s VP Opportunities identified the financial barrier to clubs and societies that prevents many students from signing up. As part of their manifesto, they were committed to establishing a hardship fund to allow students to access financial support for joining and club or society.
We did: Our staff worked alongside the VP Opportunities to establish the fund, securing £1500 for students to access. Find out more about the scheme and how to apply here

Completed by: SU VP Opportunities Proposed by: FTO Manifesto Point

You said: Some of you would be staying in Bournemouth over the Christmas break. We worked with BU to support you through this period.
We did: We delivered a programme of online events to keep you entertained over the break. Please find the details here. BU also had their own support in place, including social activities and any welfare help.

Completed by: SU VP Welfare and Community and VP Opportunities Proposed by: Student Feedback

You said: In SimOn feedback, you asked for more transparency over how your FTOs work for you and how their daily work translates into action.
We did: This semester, we introduced Officer Question Time, giving you the opportunity to hear what your officers have been up to and ask them any questions. We also created this page so you can see what is currently being worked on by your officers.

Completed by: President Proposed by: SimOn feedback

Ahead of students arriving at or returning to BU for 2020/21, SUBU sought feedback to find out the information, opportunities, support and events students would most like. We now have the results from both of these surveys and here is how we've responded to the key feedback:

You said: Making friends and joining a club or society were what you were most looking forward to about BU
We did: We planned a host of in-person and online events. Joining a club or society is also a great way to meet new people, and many are still running activities you can safely take part in. We also ran a 'Meet your clubs and societies' event. You can find a full list of our clubs and societies with details on how to get involved here.

You said: Social events and clear information would support the best start possible for you at BU
We did: Where possible, we are running in person events safely, in-line with government restrictions. Dylan’s bar and The Old Fire Station are open and are also running events, including the Dylan’s quiz every Tuesday from 6.30pm. All events are available on SUBU What’s On page, and you’ll also find a new calendar version on the SUBU homepage.

You said: Food festivals, volunteering opportunities, and bingo nights were listed as events you were most interested in.
We did: We have organised a variety of in-person, online and pre-recorded events for you to take part in. These include food tutorials like our 'SUBU Fake Off', cook-alongs run by our societies and our Bonfire Bingo Night at TOFS. Whatever you’re interested in, there should be something for you to get involved with.

You said: Events, clubs and societies, and competitions were the online content you’d like to see from SUBU
We did: The SUBU calendar of events that’s been put together for term one combines a variety of online events, including introductory sessions and 'Fitness Fridays' offered by our clubs and societies. We also have competitions running including an upcycling competition; all you have to do is upcycle something, give it a new lease of life and submit the end product. The winners will receive a sustainable night in hamper! There’s a variety of online content to get involved with, simply check the SUBU website.

You said: One of your biggest concerns for the new term was money
We did: SUBU ran a financial literacy workshop as part of Black History Month. We also worked with BU to host an online part-time job fair in order to help you secure work around your studies. Please remember that our Advice team are there to help you with budgeting advice and provide you with signposting for financial support.

Completed by: SU President Proposed by: Survey

You said: At BSM, you voted on a policy demanding a better system for funding clubs and societies.
We did: We have now developed a more transparent system for how funding is allocated across clubs and societies. You can find the details of the new system here.

Completed by: SU VP Opportunities Proposed by: Big Student Meeting

You said: Students were concerned about the availability of laptops on campus. The scheme was thought to be on pause for hygeine reasons during the Pandemic.
We did: We contacted BU to lobby for the availability of laptops. The scheme will now continue in the library (only) and student can books PCs through the myPC app.

Completed by: VP Education Proposed by: Student feedback

 

 

Back To Top