Policies and Procedures

Do I have to pay tax?

There is a common misconception that students do not pay tax. As many student work very limited hours their earning do not reach the threshold in which tax needs to be paid. If you earn more than £917 a month on average, then you will be liable to pay tax. If you earn more than £155 a month on average you will be liable to pay National Insurance Contributions. If you are unsure if you are paying the correct amount of tax you can use the HMRC Tax Checker. If you have paid too much tax in a given tax year you can claim a refund.

Lost your National Insurance Number? (NINO)

If you have lost your NINO and cannot find it on a P60, wage slip or other tax document, then you will need to submit a form to retrieve your number. This can be done via the .gov website.


International students: applying for a NI number

International students are required to apply for a NI number using the number below.

National Insurance number application line
Telephone: 0800 141 2075
Textphone: 0800 141 2438
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm


You can find out more information here.

Tax Guide for Students

The Tax Guide for Students website has a host of information and advice regarding working and tax. Whether you wish to volunteer, have a placement year coming up, wish to travel or believe you maybe entitiled to a refund, the Tax Guide for Students website has all the information you need.