Clinical Cherries defeat Swans in seven-goal thriller

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.
Image credit: Jack Hillman

The Cherries development squad go eight games unbeaten as they defeat Swansea City U’21s 4-3.

Before half time, the Cherries had put 3 past Swansea goalkeeper Evan Watts with two goals from Daniel Adu-Adjei and one from Michael Dacosta Gonzalez. Conceding only one goal from a bright Kyrell Wilson for Swansea.

Swansea staged a seven-minute comeback in the second half early on, however it was the Cherries who scored the final goal of the game with Daniel Adu-Adjei claiming a hat-trick.

It was Swansea who controlled the first ten minutes of the first half, with the Cherries slowly growing into the game.

However, this proved to not matter as it was the Cherries who took the lead in the 11th minute. Adu-Adjei jumping well at the back post heading it bottom corner near post from a deep Ben Greenwood corner.

However, it was only four minutes later when Swansea had their equaliser, through Kyrell Wilson who had an easy finish past an already beaten Cameron Plain, after Bournemouth failed to clear a corner.

It would then be in the 21st minute when the Cherries retook the lead, Dacosta-Gonzalez cutting in from the right, working it well through small passes with Adu-Adjei. It was returned to Dacosta-Gonzalez, and he then nicely struck it into the bottom right-hand corner with a low driven shot.

From then, there were little chances for both sides, until the 36th minute when Cherries Left back Noa Boutin was brought down in the box winning a penalty after being played through by Nathan Moriah-Welsh on the left-hand side.

In the 37th minute, Adu-Adjei stepped up and calmly slotted the penalty into the bottom left-hand corner, making it 3-1 to the Cherries putting them in control.

That looked to be it for chances in the first half, however it was in the 47th minute of the first half when Plain had to dive well to save a headed effort from Swansea’s Kai Ludvigsen, after he jumped well to place his header in the bottom left corner.

The second half began, and it took 26 seconds for Swansea to score their second of the game. The Cherries back line were caught napping when Swansea striker Kristian Fletcher was sent through. He rounded Plain and slotted it into an empty net.

Swansea continued probing, and in the 47th minute, it took a double save from Cameron Plain in the Bournemouth net to deny Kyrell Wilson from equalising for the Swans.

Swansea’s continued attacking threat paid off in the 52nd minute, when Swansea winger Kyrell Wilson got his second of the game, when he was found outside the box and struck well low into the corner beating a helpless Cameron Plain.

The Cherries were shell-shocked, as the Swans had made it 3-3 in just seven minutes.

Having not had a sniff at the Swansea net in the second half, and Swansea dominating the possession, it was the Cherries who surprisingly retook the lead in the 58th minute.

A moment of magic from Dacosta Gonzalez saw him burst into the box on the right-hand side, dinking it to the back post where Adu-Adjei then leaped to meet it heading it low into the bottom-left corner, very similar to his first goal.

It was a hat-trick for Daniel Adu-Adjei which capped off a very impressive individual performance, which involved great hold up play and bright runs causing the Swansea backline a lot of hassle.

From then, there were very little chances for both sides. The Cherries’ 4th goal seeming to kill off the Swansea attacking threat.

It wouldn’t be until the 89th minute of the game, when Swansea would start to push for the equaliser. Swansea striker Kristian Fletcher getting onto the end of a long ball, where he laid off midfielder Dan Watts, who snatched at the shot and blasted it over.

A wasted opportunity for Swansea, which ended up being their best opportunity to equalise late on.

They caused trouble very late on in the 95th minute when they sent in two free kicks deep into the Bournemouth box, however both being dealt with very well by the Cherries and clearing their lines.

The full-time whistle blew, with the Cherries winning the game 4-3. The result means the Cherries are currently 2nd in the table on 22 points. A point behind QPR whilst also having a game in hand.

Next up for the Cherries are Norwich City U21’s in the Premier League Cup on Friday evening, where they now look to extend their unbeaten run to nine.

Cherries Lineup: Plain, Tonks (Brown, 59), Kinsey, Greenwood, Boutin, Wadham, Moriah Welsh, Kilkenny (Okoh, 77), Dacosta Gonzalez (Landa, 77), Adu-Adjei, Williams (Sadi, 63)