Ringwood lose 2-1 as poor form continues

Ringwood Town lost 2-1 to Infinity FC as meaning they have now lost four on the bounce and have not won since early November

Ringwood Town dugouts at Long Lane | By Andy Jones/Nerve Sport

In a close match at Long Lane Infinity FC took all three points on Saturday afternoon. A first half strike from Danny Phillips was cancelled out by a Joss Holford drive just before the break, but Andrew Powell claimed the winner midway through the second half with Ringwood unable to avoid defeat despite plenty of second half chances.

Originally due to be played at Infinity FC the game was moved to Long Lane at the request of the Fareham-based club who asked to have the fixture reversed due to not having a ground to play at.

Ringwood were without top scorer Harry Smith who was suspended for the tie, however, Ryan Hamm was a welcome return to Richard Morse’s squad, having not played since re-signing for the club due to injury and started up front.

Defender Jack Barton also made his second debut for the club after joining from Blackfield & Langley after several seasons away from the Lane and James Harpin made his debut in goal.

Infinity started with Jamie White in a deeper midfield role, the former Southampton striker has been in good form all season scoring 12 and provided the assist for Infinity’s opener.

Ringwood had the first real look in at goal 10 minutes in with some slick one touch passing in midfield leading to a Ben Harris cross that found Hamm, but the striker’s effort went wide of the post.

Soon after Joe Manley tried his luck from distance, the right-back’s strike was struck sweetly but was straight at Thomas Bayle. The Infinity keeper could only parry the fierce strike into Hamm’s path though, but Ringwood's number 9 dragged his shot wide.

Just before the half hour mark it was the Fareham-based side who took the lead. White, playing in a deeper midfield role, picked up the ball in the middle of the park and played a well weighted through ball to Phillips who finished neatly past Harpin in the Ringwood goal.

Holford levelled the score just before the break though, after a cross from Charlie Hitchings was met by Hamm who laid the ball off to Holford. The midfielder drove his shot low and hard from 10 yards leaving Bayle no chance.

Five minutes into the second half, Callum Horton produced a brilliant last ditch tackle to prevent Infinity taking the lead.

But with an hour played Infinity were able to find the breakthrough. Powell sent a powerful right footed shot from just inside the left hand side of the box into the far top corner leaving Ringwood set for a fourth straight defeat.

As the game went on Ringwood found themselves with plenty of the ball and at times had Infinity pegged back well in their own half, but Morse’s side were unable to find an equaliser.

Hamm was played in by Harrison Clarke but could not get his shot on target and looked short on match fitness after three months on the sidelines before Barton let fly from 25 yards only to see his shot whistle just past the post.

As the game entered the dying moments Harrison Fay cut in from the left flank but his shot also went narrowly wide for Ringwood.

Infinity secured their first win since late September - a run stretching back 15 games and puts them on 16 points in 18th place, just one point behind Ringwood who sit 15th.


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.