Why Join Us?
1) We bring the best out of each other
2) 'Once in a lifetime' experiences
3) You'll get the chance to serve your community
What do we do?
The BU Dance Society (BUDS) practice in six styles of dance: Ballet, Contemporary, Lyrical (Wildcard), Jazz, Street, and Tap.
Our weekly classes are taught by current students in preparation for national inter-university competitions throughout the year, and our end of year showcase.
Over the last 2 years the team has excelled, growing stronger in numbers and ability. In 2017/18 we were so proud to bring home 5 trophies, including 1st place in Jazz.
In 2018/19 we came home with a total of 8 trophies, including 1st place in Jazz, Street, and Tap. To add to the successes, our Jazz choreographer, Katie, was awarded 'best choreogrpahy' and one of our Street choreographers, Oceanne, was awarded 'best female dancer.' We are very excited to see what we can achieve in the coming year.
BU Dance Society are the hosts of a new inter-society fundraising event 'BU Come Dancing', a dance competition between the societies and sports teams at Bournemouth University. It was a great success and raised over £1000, with £850 being donated to Space Youth Project, our core charity of the year. We hope to raise even more for the third year running.
In 2017-2018, we were awarded the '5 Star Society' award, and won 'Most Improved Society' at the annual BU Activity Awards where we also had the opportunity to perform!
In 2018-2019 we maintained our 5 Star Society Status and won the Clubs Commendation Award for Arts and Performance.Our tap team gave an incredible perfomance of their 2x 1st Place winning competition routine, 'The Greatest Show'
The society is a great place to practice your dancing to a competitive level, and to make great friends within the team. This year we hope to continue our success with fresh new faces! We look forward to seeing you at auditions.
Want to know other reasons to join?
- We are a family - BUDS has a great team spirit both on and off the stage. We motivate each other to continuously improve, so when competition time comes, we can all be our very best.
- 'Once in a lifetime' experiences - Your university experience is more than just a degree! Joining a team like BUDS is a pathway to many opportunities from performing on large stages, to having the opportunity to choreograph and manage your own dance routines for the rest of the society to learn. You'll gain confidence, friendships, and sweaty leotards!
- You'll get the chance to serve your community - Each year BUDS are dedicating more time to reaching out to our community; supporting local charities and performing at local campaign events. BUDS take pride in giving back to the community and reaching outside the walls of Bournemouth University.
Check-out our Facebook for more information.
This year we are introducing a new social membership of £35 per term which covers any open classes you want to attend in that term, your BUDS kit, showcases and more!
We are offering this social membership to the people who don't make the competitive squads or simply just don't want to compete, but still want to be a part of the BUDS family. We will be running weekly social classes of which the style will change per week and rotate. We will try and branch out with different styles but the classes will be mainly commercial.
The second term will consist of classes teaching routines to show at our annual end of year showcase so you will be able to perform to friends, family or even just admiring fans!
BOTH memberships, social and competitive, depending on which you choose, will need to be paid by Tuesday 29th October 2019.
Lyrical: Friday 4th October 17:30 - 19:00, K101
Ballet: Sunday 6th October 12:00 - 13:30, K101/K103
Contemporary: Sunday 6th October 13:30 - 15:00, K101/K103
Jazz: Sunday 6th October 15:15 - 16:45, K101/K103
Street: Sunday 6th October 16:45 - 18:15, K101/K103
Tap: Monday 7th October 20:30 - 22:00, Studio 1 in Sport BU
Competitive team lists will be posted on the Bournemouth University Dance Society's Facebook page on Tuesday 8th October 2019
When and Where?
Bournemouth University (Sport BU) Studios
Meet the Committee
President: Izzy Ralfe and Zoe Wickham
Communications: Izzy Ralfe and Zoe Wickham
Treasurer: Amy Batt
Equipment & Events: Catherine Rushton
Health & Safety: Holly Daniels
Social Sec: Kitty Leigh
Sober Social Sec: Katie Lucas
Photographer: Eve Newman
Videographer: Chloe Vidler
Ballet Choreographers: Dayna Gibson and Lizzie Hornal
Contemporary Choreographer: Izzy Ralfe
Lyrical Choreographer: Laura Hardy
Jazz Choreographer: Olivia Coles
Street Choreographers: Steph Robert and Gaby Nnochiri
Tap Choreographers: Lauren Ahm and Mackenzie Dickey