How to complain to your letting agent


What can I complain about?

If your property is managed by a letting agent and you’re experiencing issues with them, you may be able to complain. You can complaint if the letting agent has:

  • Repeatedly failed to carry out repairs or they carried out repairs badly
  • Have been rude or abusive towards you, harassed you or you feel you have been discriminated against
  • Caused unreasonable delays
  • Disclosed confidential information about you
  • Failed to keep proper records or respond to your communications
  • Failed to provide information you have asked for, and you are within your rights to have it
  • Failed to uphold their legal obligations, e.g. fire alarms, service the boiler
  • Breaching terms in the tenancy agreement


Complain directly to the letting agent

Does your letting agent have a complaints procedure? If so use it. If this isn’t on their website then you should contact them and ask for it. If they do not have a procedure then you can write to the letting agent outlining your concerns. Ensure you include details, including times and dates. You should get a written response to your complaint.

SUBU Advice has a letter template if you would like help structuring your letter.


Complain to a letting agent redress scheme

It is a legal requirement for all letting agents to be part of a letting agent redress scheme. The Property Ombudsman and Property Redress Scheme provide free, independent services for resolving disputes.  Look for a logo on the letting agent website, in their offices and on their correspondence.


Complain to a professional association

If the letting agent redress scheme is unable to help then you can complain to a professional associations, if the letting agent is a member. The main professional associations are: The main professional associations for letting agents are:

You can only submit your complaint to a professional association once you have complained directly to the letting agent. If you have initiated court action then the association will not be able to help. You will need to enclose copies of past correspondence related to the situation, including any documents related to the complaint.

If you are not happy with the outcome you may still be able to take court action.


Complain to trading standards

If your letting agent has not registered with a redress scheme or you feel they have been unfair, then you can report them to trading standards.


Complain to the landlord

A less formal approach is to complain to your landlord about the letting agent. Your landlords name and address has to be given to you if you request it form the letting agent in writing. The landlord may not know that the letting agent is delivering a poor service to you.


Court action

If your complaint is a money dispute you may be able to submit a claim via the smalls claims court.


How to complain to your landlord

You can complain to your landlord if they have done something that is wrong or done badly, treated you badly or not done something they should have done. For example being rude or not responding to your communications.

In the first instance we advise that you raise your concerns with your landlord as having a discussion about the issues can result in a quick resolution. However, if you do not feel comfortable doing this, or you have already raised your concerns but it hasn’t resolved anything then you can write a letter of complaint to your landlord. SUBU Advice has a template letter you can use. Ensure you include details such as dates and times.

The landlord should then look in to your situation and may want to learn more to understand what has occurred. This may include them inspecting your home or asking for copies of documents.


Complain to Environmental Health

If your complaint is related to a health and safety hazard in your home then you may wish to contact environmental health. Health and safety issues include:

  • dangerous electrical wiring or gas pipes or appliances
  • dangerous structural disrepair
  • rising damp or leaky roofs
  • noisy machinery
  • asbestos


Environmental health can inspect your property and where necessary issue a formal order asking the landlord to rectify the issues. 


Complain via Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

If both parties agree you may be able to use an ADR scheme, such as the Civil Mediation Council, and avoid having to take the issue to court.


Court Action

If your complaint is a money dispute you may be able to submit a claim via the smalls claims court.