If you have been a victim of a crime, or witnessed a crime then you may feel you need someone to talk to. Whether this be for practical help, such as submitting an insurance claim, or emotional support.

Hate Crime

Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, gender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation are hate crimes and should be reported to the police. Hate crimes can include:

  • threatening behaviour
  • assault
  • robbery
  • damage to property
  • inciting others to commit hate crimes
  • harassment


This short video shows how BU, SUBU and Dorset Police are working together to respond to hate incidents or crimes that occur on or off campus.

How can I report a crime?

If a crime is in progress or you are in immediate danger you should call 999. If the crime isn't an emergency then you can report it by calling 101. If you do not want to report a hate crime directly to the police the you can also report the crime online at report-it.org.uk or via the Dorset Hate Crime App. Alternatively, you can report via SUBU Advice as we are Third Party Reporting Centre. You can choose to remain anonymous when reporting. Contact us for more information.


Specialist sources of support

Prejudice Free Dorset have a list of service to support you on their website. Victim Support is a charity dedicated to supporting those affected by crime. 


Support available at BU

SUBU Advice is here to help and can point you in the right direction for specialist advice and support. We can also advise you on relevant SUBU and BU Policies and Procedures, e.g. exceptional circumstances, formally known as mitigating circumstances. BU provides a Wellbeing service and staff in the Chaplaincy are also qualified to provide students with emotional support. You can also speak to your GP, friends, family and/or the Samaritans. Each Faculty also has a Student Support and Engagement Team who can provide you with advice and support. Contact the service/s you feel most comfortable approaching.