Whether you gamble online, at a casino or at events, compulsive gambling can have a significant impact on your relationships, health and finances.

If gambing has become part of your everday life and you are unable to stop you should consider whether you have a problem with gambling. There is lots of support available if you would like to stop.


Do I have a problem with gambling?

If you are unsure if your gambling should be a concern then you can complete the Gamcare self-assessment tool: How safe is your gambling? It take a few minutes to complete and its free and anonymous. You can also learn more about gambling on the Gamcare website.


Specialist sources of support

Cognitive behavioural therapy is used to treat other addictions and as such the NHS state that it can also be useful to treat problem gambling. Steps to Wellbeing is a local service offering cognitive behavioural therapy. If you would like to learn more about Steps to Wellbeing then you can check out their website.


GamCare offers free information, support and counselling for problem gamblers in the UK. It runs the National Gambling Helpline (0808 8020 133) and also offers face-to-face counselling. 

National Problem Gambling Clinic If you live in England or Wales, are aged 16 or over and have complex problems related to gambling, you can refer yourself to this specialist NHS clinic for problem gamblers. See if you meet the criteria for this service.

The Gordon Moody Association offers residential courses for men and women who have problems with gambling – email or call 01384 241292 to find out more. It also runs the Gambling Therapy website, which offers online support to problem gamblers and their friends and family. 

Gamblers Anonymous UK runs local support groups that use the same 12-step approach to recovery from addiction as Alcoholics Anonymous.


If you are a friend or family member affected by someone elses gambling then GamAnon can support you.


Support available at BU

SUBU Advice is here to help and can point you in the right direction for specialist advice and support. We can also advise you on relevant SUBU and BU Policies and Procedures, e.g. exceptional circumstances, formally known as mitigating circumstances. BU provides a Wellbeing service and staff in the Chaplaincy are also qualified to provide students with emotional support. You can also speak to your GP, friends, family and/or the Samaritans. Each Faculty also has a Student Support and Engagement Team who can provide you with advice and support. Contact the service/s you feel most comfortable approaching.