An academic appeal is a procedure which allows you in certain circumstances to ask for a review of the decision relating to your academic progress of award.

When can I appeal?

You can appeal the mark of an assessment once you have had your final results transcript for the academic year. You have 10 working days from the publication date of your results to submit an appeal. If you wish to query a grade before you get your transcript then we advise you first seek feedback from the marker, or relevant faculty staff. If you remain unhappy with the mark then you can book to see a SUBU Advice Worker to discuss your case and consider what options are available to you.

Please refer to 11A - Academic Appeals: Policy and Procedure for Taught Awards

Students should be aware that even when an Appeal is successful, all students still need to complete and pass all elements of their work before progressing to the next stage of their programme.


On what grounds can I appeal?

If you feel your grade was not just or you feel an error has occurred, then you may wish to appeal your mark/s. However, an academic appeal can only be considered on the grounds of one of the following:


  • there has been a material irregularity or significant administrative error in the assessment process;
  • the assessment was not conducted in accordance with the regulations for the programme;
  • a student’s performance in assessment has been affected by illness or other factors which, for valid reason(s), s/he was unable to divulge before the meeting of the Assessment Board (see 6J – Mitigating Circumstances including Extensions: Policy and Procedure) (NB Any Appeal for mitigating circumstances to be considered should always be supported by appropriate formal evidence, e.g. GP letter);
  • bias or the perception of bias in the assessment process / consideration of the Appeal


See paragraph 4.2 of 11A - Academic Appeals: Policy and Procedure for Taught Awards


What if I don’t have grounds?

If your circumstances do not fall in to one of the grounds above then it’s unlikely that an appeal would be successful. Come talk to us if you are unsure if you have a valid appeal. Disagreeing with the mark provided by the examiner doesn’t warrant grounds for appeal. You can’t question academic judgement.


How do I appeal?

The appeals process has three stages: Local, Central Review and Formal Hearing. This hand-out will help get you started with this process. 


You will need to complete the Academic Appeals Form and submit this to your faculty Academic Administration Manager within 10 working days of the publication date of your final results. Ensure you include any supporting evidence. Contact us if you would like help completing the form or are unsure what evidence you could submit.


If you are not happy with the response you get back from the Academic Administration Manager/Education Service Manager you may wish to forward your appeal to the Central Review Stage. You have 10 working days from the date in which the Local Stage response was provided to submit your updated Appeals Form to the Quality Enhancement Officer at Contact us if you would like help completing the form.


If you remain unhappy then you can request that your appeal is considered by the Appeals Board. You have 10 working days from the date of the Central Review Stage response to request a formal hearing. We can help you prepare for a hearing and attend with you, if you wish.


If your request for a hearing is not accepted, or you are unhappy with the outcome of the Appeals Board then you can request a review from the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA). If you are issued with a Completion of Procedures letter during any stage of the appeals process then your next step would be to take your appeal to the OIA.


Appealing a resit

It can take several weeks before an appeal comes to its final resolution. This can make appealing after a resit particularly time sensitive as re-enrolment occurs shortly after the results are published. If you have an outstanding appeal you should continue to re-enrol on to the next year of your course. If the appeal is upheld and you are required to resubmit coursework, or resit an exam, then this could impact on your course progression. It’s important you seek advice from your Programme Leader.


‘80 Credit Rule for Level 6 students’

If you are less than 3% away from the next grade boundary (so you have 47+, 57+, or 67+) and have the higher boundary in 80 credits in your final year the academic board will recommend you are awarded the higher classification.


The Standard Assessment Regulations (11.3) states:

‘… where a student achieves an aggregate mark which is not more than 3 marks below a classification boundary (50, 60 or 70) and has at least 80 credits at Level 6 in a higher classification than the aggregate mark, the Assessment Board will recommend that the higher classification be awarded.


If you feel the 80 credit rules should have been applied to you then you can submit an appeal. SUBU Advice can double check your transcript of results before you do this.